congrats, kiddos!


I am really proud of my sister-in-law for nurturing her kids and helping them grow into fine young kids. I really love them very much. They are growing up fast and I terribly miss them. I think around April 6th they'll be coming for a visit here in Hawaii, yayy!! and my mother-in-law is coming, too for a vacation (double yayy!) because her license will expire around May so she needs to get her California driver license renewed, hubby and Nate might accompany her since he has flight benefits, too bad I can't get leave in such a short notice, they won't allow me at work that's for sure since we're short of people at customer service. my Niece Celina won 1st prize for the US ARMY Yongsan library writing contest high school division and got $40, while the younger One Thomas won 2nd prize and got $20. here are their essays...

WHAT IS IN THE FUTURE? WHAT WILL 2058 MEAN TO YOU? (Thomas)

Fifty years from now, there will be world peace. Each country will have their own resources that will keep them from invading other countries. The year 2058 will be all about technology. Children will attend their classes in their own homes with a robot for a teacher. Each family will have robots to take care of their needs. Flying cars will use electricity or fuel cells and would not need roads. There will be a cure for cancer and AIDS and people will live longer and healthier. There will be enough space for everybody because there will be colonies in other planets.

There will be no crimes because everybody will be contented with their lives or too scared to commit crimes. There will be no poor people; everybody will have enough money to live a good life. I will be 59years old. I will be a successful scientist after having played in the NFL as a quarterback for the Pittsburgh Steelers.

The future will be better because it will be safer and peaceful. The only way to make this happen is if we start working on it right now.



WHO IS THE WORLD’S GREATEST PERSON/INFLUENCE AND WHY? (CELINA)

The world’s greatest persons or influences are my parents.

I could have chosen Gandhi, Einstein or Martin Luther King but in my life, the greatest influence is my parents. I looked up the meaning of the word influence and dictionary.com defined it as “the capacity or power of persons or things to be a compelling force on or produce effects on the behavior of others.” My parents have influenced me and they still do.

My parents have been there since the day I was born. They chose to have me and raise me. They were my very first teachers. I remember my mom teaching me how to read, how she would get upset when I give up and choose to play instead. I remember my dad teaching me how to ride the bike on those days when he was home from being deployed, how he would fight the urge to rush to my side when I fell so many times and instead encourage me and tell me that I was doing a great job. From this, I learned determination. That there will be days that I will fail but that I could always get back up and try again.

I remember my mom on my first day in school, outside the classroom, peeking, not wanting to leave me but at the same time giving me the thumbs up sign as if to say she is going to be okay with me growing up. She still goes with me, attending those course selection nights in high school, making sure that I am choosing the right path. From this, I learned the significance of making good choices. It is so easy to get lost in the fast pace of life with peer pressure constantly at your heels but with good common sense and good decision making skills, I know I can’t go wrong.

I remember my dad driving me to all those swimming lessons, sitting under the hot sun, ready with the towel when I get off the pool, with a proud look on his face that I was able to go from one end of the pool to the other as if I had made an important discovery that is going to change mankind. This experience taught me to honor commitment and finish what I started even if the other end of the pool seems to be unreachable.

They are also the first members of my fan club. They would cheer the loudest during my dance recitals, my award ceremonies, my volleyball games and my cheerleading performances. I saw them hold their breath as I spelled the last word correctly in the spelling bee contest I joined. They are also my worst critic telling me what I did wrong and how I can improve. They have documented every smile, every tear, every ups and every down of my life. This taught me that life is going to be a challenge and not everything will go my way.

They are also my PDA (personal digital assistant) constantly reminding me of appointments I need to keep, to be on task at all times, telling me to do what I need to do so I could do what I really want to do. This made me realize that I need to learn how to prioritize and finish my not so fun responsibilities first and then I could do the fun things after.

They are my internet even before going online was the “in” thing. They are an abundant source of information that I am able to use and would hopefully help me in the future. They read a lot and because of this, I too learn to love the lost art of reading.

They are my personal travel agents, having taken me to live different places because of my dad’s job. It has made me tolerant of our differences with other cultures, made me adapt faster to anything that is new and made me embrace the exciting adventures that we are to face the three years that we are on “permanent vacation.”

They could do anything and everything. And when asked how they do this or how come they know this, my mom’s ready answer is “because we are parents.” This tells me that I too, could do anything and everything that is good, that is worthy, because I am my parent’s child.

My parents may not have been voted Time’s Person of the Year, they might not have invented the cure for the common cold or they might not have solved the problem of world peace, but, they are raising a child and guess what? It is so hard to do that especially when we do not come with instructions, we are non-refundable and we do not have extended warranties.

I admire my SIL for everything she has done to her children. I myself look up to her, she has been through a lot and she sacrificed a lot for her children. I wanna be just like her. to all moms out there who does the same thing, I salute you guys!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, ain't that nice. All work was worth for her :)

But for me, the world will be worst 50 years from now. Then, it will be better a hundred years after. That's just how I can see it coming. There will definitely be a change, but not much of an impact within 50 years. We need more than that :P

And my influence would be myself :D not being sarcastic, but I just believe I can do everything and anything that I want as long as I work for it :)

Anonymous said...

Awwww Celina's essay brought tears to my eyes...nakakataba ng puso ang mga sinabi nya! sana one day ganyan din maiisip ng mga anak ko sa akin (samin ni Jay) hahahahaa

hayyyy sarap pakinggan!

Anonymous said...

waaa grabeh sis hanga rin ako sa kanya sis super duper!!! nakuh kahit sino po talaga mapapahanga sa kanya po..wow congrats po sa pagpakpanalo po ni Celina grabe ganda ng essay niya po..heartwarming talaga po..super! //*speachless*// well deserve *clap^*

Anonymous said...

wow galing naman nila .. lalo na kay Celina, grabe nakakatouch, kumabaga nakakataba ng puso ..

Anonymous said...

nice piece.. i wish ganyan din ang sabihin ng mga anak ko.. kami ang big influence nila.. pero i hope good influence hehe..

i saw celina.. shes so pretty

tisay na tisay at pwedeng artista sa atin.

Anonymous said...

You should really be proud of your SIL! The kids are smart! :) And they love their parents. Katuwa naman!

Take care, Kitty! :)

Anonymous said...

wow nice naman ang galing nia at touching ang mga sinagot nia you should be proud talaga.

HiPnCooLMoMMa said...

congratulations to your pamangkins...kakatuwa ano, very positive ang outlook nila in life, natawa ako kay thomas, pero ang galing, truly deserving to be a winner.

Anonymous said...

off topic:

just want to invite you to blog about Earth Hour and join the biggest impact. wala ka kasing contact or shout out, so d2 ko na lng kinomment.

have more info and count down at:
http://agpahn.net/2008/03/26/earth-hour/ or http://www.earthhour.org/

Anonymous said...

bright kids! :) wow! i envy them. they could write such pieces. xD

Anonymous said...

Bata ang nagsulat nyan, sis?
WOW! Ang gagaling naman. Your SIL must be very dedicated to her kids talaga. kakabilib