thank you, God


We went to Waikiki on the 26th, walked around and took pictures. As we were walking on our way to the Fort De russy parking lot, this person appeared in the middle of nowhere, he was Jamaican, I think, dark skinned, tall person with dreadlocks. he was wearing a decent shirt and shorts with no slippers on. He was walking quietly his face down. I was looking down while walking because Nathan was in a stroller, I was scared, you never know! then as soon as he passed by me he stopped by the bushes and plucked something... a yellow hibiscus flower! and quickly gave it to my mom, mommy said thank you but instead of replying 'you're welcome' he only responded with a soft 'mahalo' (mahalo means thank you in Hawaiian), then off he went. so weird! after that, we all looked at each other and Rachel suddenly said 'he must be and angel!' the flower was yellow and big, its petals were widespread. so pretty! we noticed on our way to the parking lot that most of the hibiscus flowers were already closed since it was night time already. My mom informed Rachel the day before we went to Waikiki that she was hoping that Gully would appear in her dreams carrying a flower to know that he's happy. so weird but true! It was a special night for us. When I saw my watch, guess what time it was? 9:30 pm.


Hello, friends! how are you all doing? for us here, we are doing fine so far. It's been a tough time ever since my brother passed away. but we are trying our best to recover, with God's guidance I know we will overcome these trials being sent our way. My brother's girlfriend Rachel arrived here in Hawaii around Aug. 15th, As soon as we fetched her at the airport that's when we got a call from my mom that Gully is about to be transferred to St. Francis Hospice down by Ewa beach, everything was right timing. Gully was still ok, he still got to sing, chat on the phone, talk story with us but all of a sudden that Saturday the 16th, he started to feel weak and started to talk about things that you know a person would when he is coming close to his end of days. It freaks us out every time he talks about himself leaving us. His request was to be cremated and wanted us to throw his ashes to the sea, which we didn't like, later he told us that we can do whatever we want then as long as he is not to be put in a coffin.

I went home around 6:00 pm that Sunday, the 17th of Aug. He was asking in a weak voice what he would wear on his funeral. I went home and looked through his clothes, no white long sleeve button down shirt so I rushed to buy one for him, I was speeding to the freeway and somehow I wanted to go back to the Hospice, so after preparing for my brother's funeral clothes, hubby ironed it himself since he wasn't satisfied the way I ironed it. to think I wasn't planning to go back since he was still doing good. my mom called me one more time and I told her I was on my way. boy, as soon as I got there his eyes went wide eyed and I knew for sure he waited for me one last time before he left his body. Gully's body was completely numbed already. Rachel told Gully that once he sees angels he should raise his hands, and We saw him did it! he raised both hands and said 'PRAISE THE LORD!'.

That night, Gully's friend who was a pastor stayed there until Gully's last breath, along with his wife and a friend, a missionary from Indonesia. Me and Rachel held his hands until he stopped breathing. Soothing heavenly music was being played in the back, that really broke my heart to pieces because I know any minute he will be gone forever. we kissed and hugged him like there was no tomorrow . little by little his body went cold. we kept on listening if his heart wasn't beating any longer. my mom kept on breathing hard and praying that Gully would soon leave so his suffering would stop already. She couldn't barely see my brother's condition, it was so hard for her. the time was 9:30 pm, A sunday. His favorite day since he loved going to church so much.

He was cremated Aug. 21, 2008. we held a little service for about 30 minutes just the 6 of us. As soon as we walked in the Chapel anticipating what he would look like, there he laid on gurney with lots of blankets and a green quilt over him, he looked so peaceful, like he was only sleeping. We sang and listened to a few bible verses. We couldn't believe he's now gone. for good. the next few days We toured Rachel to the places Where Gully visited here in Hawaii. At home, whatever Gully did that's the way Rachel did. my mom found comfort in her since she was the closest person Gully had in his heart so mom felt that. We donated almost all his stuff to the Cerebral palsy foundation. I am pretty sure Gully would understand that. If we had the space permanently we wouldn't give anything away in a heartbeat. I kept most of my brother's stuff for safekeeping and at the same time will serve as his memories to me.

I am currently planning on his memorial page, Rachel is willing to help me out with it, too. She leaves the Island on Sept. 3rd, along with my mom going to San Diego then to the Philippines. As hard as it feels for us her leaving us, too I just hope we'll all be alright. I don't want her to go far away from me. but since she can't stand being here all alone, I even offered to help her find work so she can be busy. but I couldn't convince her. even spending a few months, maybe a month or two so we can save money for her trip back home. We're in a financial crisis right now since we paid a lot for my brother's funeral. I love my brother and I didn't really care if we did spend a lot since she has no work and Gully didn't had any work either, it was all up to us. I just hope she appreciated everything we did for her. In spite of Gully being gone, she should realize I am still here. We love her. but then We'll just be praying to the Lord to guide her whatever decisions she make.

Thank you so much for all the greetings you guys gave. Most of you saw his pictures there, I didn't share it here anymore since most of his pictures are uploaded on my friendster account. again, thank you. May God bless you all for the kindness you guys have given to me.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

awwww i feel your mother. napakasakit sa isang ina ang mawalan ng anak. yung baby ko 1 month ko lang sya nakasama hanggang ngayon de ko parin matangap na nawala nalang sya ng ganun. ano pa kaya ang mama mo na nakasama at nakita nyang lumalaki, nagbinata at nagka-girlfriend ang kanyang anak. ang sakit sakit non.

hayy! i feel relief now since naayos nyo na lahat though syempre deep inside ay hindi ka pa ganun ka-relax. basta be there with your mom and always support her kahit na am sure wala syang ibang iniisip ngayon kundi ang brother mo. sana maka-get over narin sya soon.

take care always kitty and send my hugs to your mom and family. God will always bless you guys!

Tiff k said...

Ate Kitty, grabe ang sad talaga... may hangover feeling yan na you still can't believe that he's gone. Parang doggies namin, kahit ilang weeks after the death, I still yearn to call out her name, tapos baka marinig ko bark niya. grabe baka angel in disguise iyong Jamaican guy.

I really hope your mother and Rachel will be well. Masakit talaga sa mom na mawala ng anak, I remember my classmate's mom. Noong nawala na classmate ko, his mom sobbed so hard nung funeral. It really hurts talaga.

I'll pray for you and your family ate ah.. Be well

You received an award pala ate, pls go to my blog and get it po =)

http://jynxedpanda.blogspot.com

God bless!

Anonymous said...

hi kitty, musta?
now lng ako naka-visit, sorry ha..
i just read the news about your brother, my condolences :(

Gracie said...

Hope things are better now, Kitty
Take care always.

Kayni said...

My heart and prayers are with you and your family. I believe that when we die, we go to a better place, and I'm sure your bother is there right now.

I am new to your blog. I am Filipina, who moved to Hawaii from the Philippines about 12 years ago. I'm not living and working in the DC area. Hope to visit more often. I miss Hawaii a lot. I lived in Ewa Beach.

Anonymous said...

so glad ur back blogging. tumayo mga balahibo ko when u mentioned he raised his hands and about the guy who gave ur mom a flower. wow! i'm sure he is happy where he is. i know it's hard for ur mom. i can't imagine being in her shoes. i'm praying for her. just give her time to grieve. i'm glad that everything is settled na rin. don't worry about the finances. God will provide ika nga. how's Nathan doing nga pala? you all take care sis. love ya! {{hugs}}

Anonymous said...

Hello Kit! musta na once again. Sana di na kayo masyadong malungkot. Condolence ulit, although nasabi ko na yan sa friendster. Take Care there always and god bless!

To 2024, and beyond! said...

just read this kitty.. better late than never.. condolences for your loss *huggz* but im sure you're a bit happy now coz your brother is in heaven. i cried when i read the part when he raised his hand and said 'praise the lord'.. he's lucky to be with Our Maker already.. with oil prices soaring and all, joke! hehe! =) and im glad he sent you the flower sign. kinda scared when i read it, LOL

anyway god bless and keep smiling! life goes on.. =)